Who this kit is for: The Vintage/Modern SG Upgrade Kit offers a warmer, woody tone on the Bridge pickup, and a more transparent, dynamic sound on the Neck pickup. Happy with your Bridge pickup's tone, but your Neck pickup is too muddy? Your Neck pickup is perfect, but your Bridge pickup is too bright? The solution: The RS SG Vintage/Modern pre-wired kit. Warmer tones for the Bridge pickup, more clarity for the Neck pickup, this is the perfect solution for guitars that need that little extra.
This kit is for anyone who is tired of not being able to use the controls on your guitar effectively. This kit is also great for those who are tired of losing tone and note-definition every time they roll their control past 8!!
Please Note: All guitars manufactured in Korea, Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico use metric pots (6mm), and have metric sized holes drilled for the pots. All pots sold by RS Guitarworks use standard pots and hole diameters (3/8"). Therefore, holes in the guitar, plates and/or pickguards will need to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit properly. Also, metric knobs will not fit the RS pot shafts; most popular knobs are available on the store in new and aged versions. Please call us for details or questions about installation.
What this is: For years, guitar manufacturers have chosen to cut corners on the electronics they have used, even in their top-of-the-line guitars. This kit is designed to utilize the best electronic components possible in your guitar. This kit is the culmination of thousands of hours of research and development into different guitar electronics and how each of them affects the overall tone of the guitar. It comes wired onto a template; all you have to do is drop the kit into your guitar and wire the pickups, jack, and switch.
What's in the kit: (2) 500K RS Short-Shaft SuperPots® - We designed these pots in conjunction with CTS. Used for the volume controls in the kit, these pots have a custom taper that gives you a noticeable difference between each number on your volume control. You can finally roll your volume down to 2 or 1 and not loose any clarity, even in the neck position!! Mil-spec construction and a smoother resistor path make this the best pot to ever be used in the guitar.
(2) 500K CTS Short-Shaft Audio taper pots.
(1) Vintage RS GuitarCap Paper In Oil .022µF (Bridge position). Manufactured to RS specs, these hand-made 100v caps have a rich vintage tone, while still retaining open top-end clarity. Hand-wound on 50's-era machines, the new RS Vintage GuitarCaps use vintage-correct Kraft paper, solid military-spec construction and tinned 20AWG leads for easy soldering. They really hold their own against the vintage caps; their tone is similar to the famous caps from the 50's.
(1) Sozo NextGen™ .01µF capacitor (Neck position). Polyester film dielectric with aluminum foil, and superior tin coated pure copper leads. Clarity, detail, great for clean tones as well as heavy gain and overdrive.This will give you dynamics you have never heard before while still giving you that special "Woman Tone", but without ever losing clarity or getting muddy.
(1) 90º 3-way toggle switch - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) Vintage-style braided wire.
(1) 1/4"-inch jack - Manufactured by Switchcraft®. Long thread for through-body SG.
(1) Color wiring diagram.
How this kit improves your tone: All of the above components combine to create unprecedented clarity in your overall tone. This increase in clarity will also equate to an increase in note bloom, harmonic complexity, and, in some cases, sustain. Because this kit increases the usability and intuitiveness of the controls onboard your guitar, you will achieve tones that you didn't think were possible.