Pre-Wired Vintage 335 Upgrade Kit
Who this kit is for: The Vintage Upgrade Kits offer a warmer, woody tone. This pre-wired kit is just what you need for your Gibson® ES-335 and other ES series guitars (and other quality copies). If you have wanted to upgrade your electronics, but just did not want to tackle this job, this kit is for you. We have done everything on this to make it easy including pigtails for the pickups!! This kit will give your 335 that classic tone only RS components can give it. Professional installation is recommended.
Available in 3 variants:
- Classic: uses two .022µF caps for both Tone controls.
- Classic - Woman Tone: uses one .01µF in the Neck Tone for better clarity in the Neck pickup, and one .022µF in the Bridge Tone.
- Classic - Fat: uses one .022µF in the Neck Tone, and one .033 in the Bridge Tone for a fatter tone with the Bridge Tone and pickup. Great for Jazz!
Please Note: All guitars manufactured in Korea, Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico use metric pots (6mm), and have metric sized holes drilled for the pots. All pots sold by RS Guitarworks use standard pots and hole diameters (3/8"). Therefore, holes in the guitar, plates and/or pickguards will need to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit properly. Also, metric knobs will not fit the RS pot shafts; most popular knobs are available on the store in new and aged versions. Please call us for details or questions about installation.
What this is: For years, guitar manufacturers have chosen to cut corners on the electronics they have used, even in their top-of-the-line guitars. This kit is designed to utilize the best electronic components possible in your guitar. This kit is the culmination of thousands of hours of research and development into different guitar electronics and how each of them affects the overall tone of the guitar.
What's in the kit:
(2) 500K RS Short-Shaft SuperPots®- We designed these pots in conjunction with CTS. Used for the volume controls in the kit, these pots have a custom taper that gives you a noticeable difference between each number on your volume control. You can finally roll your volume down to 2 or 1 and not loose any clarity, even in the neck position. A smoother resistor path make this the best pot to ever be used in the guitar.
(2) 500K CTS Short-Shaft Audio taper pots.
(2) Vintage RS GuitarCap Paper In Oil capacitors. Manufactured to RS specs, these hand-made 100v caps have a rich vintage tone, while still retaining open top-end clarity. Hand-wound on 50's-era machines, the new RS Vintage GuitarCaps use vintage-correct Kraft paper, solid military-spec construction and tinned 20AWG leads for easy soldering. They really hold their own against the vintage caps; their tone is similar to the famous caps from the 50's.
(1) Vintage Braided Wire - for signal, shielding and grounding of the circuit.
(1) Short Toggle switch - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) 'Long' Output Jack - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) Color wiring diagram.
How this kit improves your tone: All of the above components combine to create unprecedented clarity in your overall tone. This increase in clarity will also equate to an increase in note bloom, harmonic complexity, and, in some cases, sustain. Because this kit increases the usability and intuitiveness of the controls onboard your guitar, you will achieve tones that you didn't think were possible.