Modern PRS® Style Upgrade Kit
The RS Modern PRS Upgrade kit, loaded with a SoZo NextGen™ capacitor. Polyester film dielectric with aluminum foil, and superior tin coated pure copper leads. Clarity, detail, great for clean tones as well as heavy gain and overdrive.
Who this kit is for: The Modern Upgrade Kits offer a more transparent, dynamic sound for anyone who is tired of not being able to use the controls on your guitar effectively. This kit is also great for those who are tired of losing tone and note-definition every time they roll their control past 8!! This kit is designed for all PRS® style guitars. Most set-neck versions of these guitar use the 90 degree switch; bolt-on versions use the short/straight switch. NOTE: The short/straight switch will work for all model guitars, so if you have doubts as to what is in your guitar, go with the short/straight option. With any PRS® model other than the McCarty or McCarty wired guitars you will have to enlarge the rotary switch hole to 1/2" for the toggle switch to fit. Also be aware that some knowledge of basic wiring is needed as PRS® does not use the same color codes on rotary guitars as used on the McCarty.
Please Note: all guitars manufactured in Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico use metric pots (6mm), and have metric sized holes drilled for the pots. All pots sold by RS Guitarworks use standard pots and hole diameters (3/8"). Therefore, holes in the guitar, plates and/or pickguards will need to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit properly. Also, metric knobs will not fit the RS pot shafts; most popular knobs are available on the store in new and aged versions. Please call us for details or questions about installation.
What this is: For years, guitar manufacturers have chosen to cut corners on the electronics they have used, even in their top-of-the-line guitars. This kit is designed to utilize the best electronic components possible in your guitar. This kit is the culmination of thousands of hours of research and development into different guitar electronics and how each of them affects the overall tone of the guitar.
What's in the kit:
(1) 500K RS Short-Shaft SuperPot®- We designed these pots in conjunction with CTS. Used for the volume controls in the kit, these pots have a custom taper that gives you a noticeable difference between each number on your volume control. You can finally roll your volume down to 2 or 1 and not loose any clarity, even in the neck position!! Mil-spec construction and a smoother resistor path make this the best pot to ever be used in the guitar.
(1) 500K Alpha Push-pull Audio taper pot- Audio taper pots work great for tone controls. This pot gives you the coil tap option that is needed in PRS® style guitars.
(1) SoZo .022 Cap - Polyester film dielectric with aluminum foil, and superior tin coated pure copper leads. Meets our stringent quality-control standards, not only because of its construction, but because of how great it sounds in the tone circuit.
(1) Length vintage-black wire- Used for the grounding in the circuit.
(1) Length vintage-white wire- Used for the signal in the circuit.
(1) 3-position switch- Made by Switchcraft® in the United States, this is the best 3-way switch on the market. The kit comes with a short straight switch or 90º switch.
(1) Color wiring diagram.
How this kit improves your tone: All of the above components combine to create unprecedented clarity in your overall tone. This increase in clarity will also equate to an increase in note bloom, harmonic complexity, and, in some cases, sustain. Because this kit increases the usability and intuitiveness of the controls onboard your guitar, you will achieve tones that you didn't think were possible.